Monday, November 15, 2010

Coco à Bruxelles

This is the real life story of an American, newly living in Belgium, trying to find her way.
But it’s not all it is. Through marriage, I’ve just gained citizenship, and I’d like to pay tribute to my new country.

It’s not always easy.

So you can call me ‘Coco’.

Often it may seem Coco has split personality (that love-hate thing) and really should be deemed ‘Cuckoo’ – but I’ll only be saying it like it is. It’s one thing to visit a place. But have you tried staying?

It’s crazy the things we Americans take for granted.

So I make things. I’ve always been a creative person. I’ve dabbled in a little bit of everything. Creating has kept me sane. But here, in Europe, you won’t find your Target’s, Michael’s, or large surface, fabric havens…

There’s nothing big and convenient here, as far as I am concerned.

You can find the items those stores carry, only they’re scattered in a hundred different smaller, obscure places! And believe me, IT IS A JOURNEY to find them.  Sometimes a big daunting one, like you’re lost in the middle of the Sahara. The hunt. But is it really a thrill or sheer frustration? Honestly, you have to get out and ask (over and over and over) or poke your head in every nook and cranny. I say that last part, because the most mundane storefront (hidden in some narrow, dark, alleyway) may hold the treasure of the finest silk threads… or the most beautiful vintage lace you’ve ever seen. But again, it don’t come easy [stressed with the bad grammar]….

Why ‘Coco à Bruxelles’?

I think we Americans place Paris on a pedestal, thinking it is the only European city with charm. Not so says my new-founded Belgian pride. There is beauty, charm, sophistication…and lots of yummy eye candy in Belgium...this is what I hope to show you in the course of this blog.

Hey, you may hear lots of griping and agitation, but after all, I am an American living in Belgium.

No comments:

Post a Comment