Thursday, December 16, 2010

Pumpkin Pie

Excellent Pumpkin Pie Recipe from ol' Faithful (that'd be "Food & Wine")



INGREDIENTS
All-Butter Pie Dough
4 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
Pinch of salt
One 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
1/2 cup heavy cream



DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pie dough to a 13-inch round a scant 1/4 inch thick. Fit the dough into a 9-inch glass pie plate and trim the overhang to 3/4 inch. Fold the dough under itself and crimp decoratively; refrigerate the pie shell for 10 minutes.
Line the pie shell with foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake in the center of the oven until nearly set, about 25 minutes. Remove the foil and weights and bake until the crust is pale golden, about 10 minutes. Let cool slightly.
In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, cloves and salt until smooth. Whisk in the pumpkin puree, then the cream. Working near the oven, pour the filling into the crust. Bake for about 45 minutes, until the custard is set. Let the pie cool on a rack.

This is called their 'Classic Pumpkin Pie Recipe'.

It's easy-breezy and oh-so delicious.

We've already had much success with it...although instead of using canned pumpkin puree, we baked a real pumpkin (felt it made it more special).

Don't let that scare you - using your own pumpkin is also easy-breezy!


All you need to do is cut your pumpkin right in half horizontally. Clean out the stringy goo (need not remove it all - just the outer-layer) and seeds (takes about a minute) and put each half face down in a tall rimmed baking sheet filled with about an inch of water (you want to steam the pumpkin's insides to make it soft).



Baking times will vary depending on how big your pumpkin is, but for a medium size, it's about 45 minutes at 350 degrees F (180 celsius). You just want the pumpkin to be mushy so it's easy to scoop out the insides with a spoon. Also - if the water disintegrates, add more. You want water to always be on the bottom of the baking sheet. Careful opening your oven - it'll be steam bath in there!

Once it's mushy, scoop it out and voilà! You've got your pumpkin puree!

If you use fresh pumpkin, you should probably at least double the amount of pumpkin called for. You just want the mixture good and thick. If you have the kind of pumpkin that yields lots of strings, give the mixture a quick go with a hand mixer to reduce those strings and thicken up your mixture.

As for the pie crust, we did 'cheat' and bought one ready made..but hey! We're in Europe and pastries are much better :) - that includes ready made. This pumpkin itself is so good, you won't miss a homemade crust if you don't feel up for it.

P.S. You can't find pumpkin pie here...and nobody knows what it is. Nobody I've asked anyway.

So today is really an emotional day. I didn't want to start off being lonely and needy, so the recipe was my attempt at being upbeat.

When I have those, the smallest things rattle me. Like the 'About Me' section of this blog. I can't figure out how to insert a break so that a minimal amount of text appears on the 'home page' - and the rest appears after the jump....does anyone know how to do that?

I haven't started my period. Perhaps an un-kosher thing to say for those who haven't been through infertility.

Discussing blood, mucus, intercourse...it becomes very matter-of-fact during the journey. Heck I can be in a room with doctors butt naked and not be phased..well maybe I'm still a little phased.

In America they would at least give you a blanket or that white paper stuff you sit on at the doctor's office to cover yourself. I mean honestly, modesty is still golden, no matter what your plight.

That hasn't been the case for us so far here.

Our IVF clinic (it's in a hospital) is located in Brussels. You have a small room where you are told to undress waste down and then traverse the door that opens to the room with the doctor and his assistants on the other side. They don't give you a gown or that handy, white paper. The only thing in the small changing room is a box of square wipees. The first time I actually envisioned myself using one as frontal camouflage as I entered the room. Then I laughed at the thought of that scene - the 'American' I would have been- and reconsidered. I took a deep breath, turned the knob, and proudly (?) let my assets flap in the breeze.

Anyway, the process desensitizes you.

So now I'm late (a little) and I'm sick of the emotional roller coaster. Always wondering (daydreaming) if maybe I'm finally going to be one of those women you always hear about (you know what I'm talking about - the ones that mysteriously become pregnant naturally after years of medical intervention). It takes its toll.

Then there's the other side of the coin. I've always had a 28-day cycle. Lately that hasn't been the case - some times it's shorter, some times longer. So then I start worrying that I'm either entering early-menopause or my body is being destroyed by all these drugs. As it is, since I've been using fertility drugs, I've become allergic to just about every skin care product you can buy (that includes organic, high end, sensitive, allergic skin etc. ). It all gives me a rash and itches like hell. Prior IVF, I've never had one iota of a health care concern my entire life. Healthy as a horse...

I went to the weekly market this morning trying to ingest a dose of the 'happy pill'..but I'm not quite there.

I bought some pumpkins to make the pies (making them as gifts for the only people I kinda know here - my acupuncturist, my yoga instructor, and my swim coach - oh, and a requirement from my Southern upbringing, I'm making one for the neighbor). Oh how pathetic that looks in print  - my only entourage are people helping me try to conceive...

Meandering throughout the marché, I rationalised profoundly... You know, thought about how precious life is and how I have so much to be thankful for. I should be happy and positive...not this sourpuss I've become. But I can't seem to change...just like I can't seem to make myself pregnant.

I'm in need. I think as soon as these pies are baked, it's time for a creativity session.

No comments:

Post a Comment